There is no excuse for abuse!
Domestic Violence Awareness Month is an opportunity to shed more light on an issue that has claimed too many lives. It’s also an opportunity for everyone to take a stand against domestic violence. To create change, we have to talk openly and acknowledge how domestic violence affects our communities, our families and our lives. We can’t just turn away.
We invite you to join us and get involved this month through our campaign: Beyond the Buzzwords. We are digging into what common buzzwords in the domestic violence prevention field mean to us.
Domestic violence affects more than 12 million* people in the United States each year.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN MINNESOTA **
- In 2011, Minnesota courts processed 27,288 cases of domestic violence.
- Over 80% of domestic violence victims in 2002 did not report the violence to Minnesota law enforcement.
- 1 in 3 homeless women in Minnesota is homeless because of domestic violence.
- In 2013, at least 26 women, 7 men, and 6 family members/friends in Minnesota were murdered in domestic violence homicides.
- In 2014, 56% of Minnesota domestic violence homicides were committed with firearms.
VIP is also partnering with three local coffee shops with a printed message on coffee cup sleeves. Be sure to grab one and place it on your coffee cup to support us during the month of October.
- Coffee shops: Wired Bean, Thief River Falls, MN
- Bear and Bean, Roseau, MN
- Bean and Brush, Hallock, MN
You can also support us by following us on Facebook and Twitter and share our message to help increase awareness and prevent domestic violence. Thanks for your support.
*CDC’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS), 2010
**National Coalition Against Domestic Violence